Associate Professor of Communication
Faculty Affiliate: Center for Research in Education and Teacher Excelence, Center for Iberian and Latin American Studies, Human Development Program, Education Studies, Ethnic Studies.
Email to: email@example.com
Ph.D. in Education, Stanford University (1989)
Vásquez's research examines the intersection of literacy, language, and culture in intercultural settings. As an ethnographer of education, her work covers bilingual education, culturally responsive curriculum, and access to educational resources by underrepresented groups. Currently, she is involved in the study of sustainable innovative educational activities that provide a range of literacy activities through computer and telecommunication technology.
Past and Present Projects:
Iscar Conference 2008, San Diego
La Clase Magica
The Center for Academic and Social Advancement (CASA)
"Designing Curriculum and Building Minds" Jan 2012
Rokenblok Curriculum Guide Aug 2012
- Vásquez, O.A., "La Clase Mágica: Imagining Optimal Possibilities in a Bilingual Community of Learners" New Jersey, Laurence Erlbaum Publishers (2002).
- Vásquez, O.A., Pease-Alvarez, P., & Shannon, S.M. Pushing Boundaries: Language in a Mexicano Community. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. (1994).
- Vásquez, O.A. "Coming of Age in Post-Modern America," in Human Development, 1999.
- Vásquez, O. A. and Duran, Richard, "La Clase Mágica and Club Proteo: Mulitiple Literacies in New Community Institutions," in Gallego and Hollingsworth (Eds.), Challenging a Single Standard: Perspective on Multiple Literacies. (Teachers College Press, N.Y.) 1999.
- Vásquez, O.A., "Negociando identidad en un medio bilingüe" ("Negotiating identity in bilingual setting"). In Morphé: Ciencias del Lenguaje, Julio 96-Junio97, No. 15/16. 1998.
- Vásquez, O.A., "A Model System of Institutional Linkages: Transforming the Educational Pipeline." In A. Hurtado, R. Figueroa, E. Garcia (Eds.), Strategic Interventions in Education: Expanding the Latina/Latino Pipeline. University of California, Santa Cruz: Santa Cruz, CA. (pp. 137-166). 1996.
- Stanton-Salazar, R., Vásquez, Olga, and Mehan, Hugh, "Engineering Success Through Institutional Support." In A. Hurtado, R. Figueroa, E. Garcia (Eds.), Strategic Interventions in Education: Expanding the Latina/Latino Pipeline. University of California, Santa Cruz: Santa Cruz, CA. (pp. 100-137). 1996.