Skip to main content

Communication Minor Requirements

Updates during COVID-19

During this time of COVID-19 Advising will take place remotely for the safety of our students and staff. Please use the following to address any academic concerns:
The COMM Advising Office is dedicated to continuing our efforts of being students focused and addressing all the concerns of our students despite the crisis we are in. Please do not hesitate to reach out, we are here for you.


All courses must be taken at UCSD Communication Department for a letter grade. Core courses cannot be transferred or taken abroad.

1 Lower Division Core Course

COMM 10: Introduction to Communication

2 Upper Division Core Courses

Choose 2 of the following: 

  • COMM 100A: Communication, the Person, and Everyday Life (Prereq: COMM 10)
  • COMM 100B: Communication, Culture, and Representation (Prereq: COMM 10)
  • COMM 100C: Communication, Institutions, and Power (Prereq: COMM 10)

4 Upper Division Electives

  • 1 Advanced Elective is required, which are courses from COMM 120-189 (Prereq: COMM 10 and at least one COMM 100 course)
  • 3 additional upper division electives are required and can be any combination of Intermediate Electives (COMM 101-119 - Prereq: COMM 10) and Advanced Electives (COMM 120-189 - Prereq: COMM 10 and at least one COMM 100 course)

Note: Students cannot use courses outside of the department nor can they use COMM 198 & 199 courses to satisfy any minor requirements.

Quarter by Quarter Plans

Our academic advisers have developed detailed quarter-by-quarter plans to help you successfully navigate your journey as a Communication scholar at UC San Diego

Learn more

Looking for Advice?

Our Undergraduate Academic Advisers are available to help you navigate our program. Academic Advising is available to all UC San Diego students who are registered and enrolled in classes.

Connect with an adviser

Do you think you might need Disability accomodations?

It is important to register with the Office for Students with Disabilities (OSD) BEFORE beginning classes so that you receive accommodations in time.

Go to the Disability Accommodations